15 health benefits of persimmons
Every year when they are in season, I make sure I’m never out of this highly alkaline, nutritious & delicious fruit. I prefer the organic fuyu persimmons myself. Usually I buy them online because local stores don’t stock them very often or when they do it’s pricier than ordered a box online. Fuyu’s can be eaten when they are firm or soft, there is no need to peel them, there is no core inside – just solid fruit!
- Highly Alkaline: Helps promote a alkaline state within your body. Which is essential for good health.
- Help your body prevent cancer: Persimmons contain highly beneficial antioxidants and phytonutrients which can help protect cells from free radicals. Free radicals are thought to be responsible for causing some cancers.
- Protect your eyes: Eye retina damage is a cause of eye vision loss. Retinal damage may be caused by free radicals. Persimmon fruit contains a vast amount of nutrients like antioxidants, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K and phytonutrient zeaxanthin. These nutrients are extremely important to protect eye retinal health. These nutrients may also help prevent cataract or age related macular degeneration.
- Protect from Aging:Free radicals can damage skin cells and stimulate premature aging. The antioxidants and phytonutrients in persimmons can help protect and strengthen the skin cells.
- Detoxify Body: Persimmon fruit contains high amounts of nutrients which protect from many diseases.
- Strengthens immunity: To stay protected from common disease it is important to eat highly nutritious food. Persimmon fruit is rich in nutrients like vitamin C that increase immunity to protect from cold, flu and infections.
- Good for hypertension:Persimmon is known to possess low levels of sodium. Hence, it can be used as a part of a balanced, low-sodium diet designed for those who have hypertension.
- Rich source of phytochemicals: This fruit contains a rich reserve of assorted phytochemicals – catechins and polyphenolic antioxidants. Catechin is a powerful anti-inflammatory and anti-infective agent. Thus, it could aid in warding off unwanted inflammatory reactions and infections.
- For a healthy digestive system: Fibers, as you know, are essential for good bowel movements. Regular use of this fiber-rich fruit can help alleviate bowel movement related issues, thus paving way for maintaining a healthy digestive system. Tannins, present in persimmons, regulate the intestinal movement, thus offering relief from diarrhea. This, in turn, helps in keeping the digestive system healthy.
- Promotes Weight Loss: The high fiber content of a Persimmon can help aid in weight loss. Fiber rich foods help you to feel full while reducing cravings for sugar or processed foods. A medium sized fruit weighs around 168 grams and offers just 31 grams of carbohydrates.
- Natural anti-haemorrhoid: The Japanese persimmon is known to possess anti-hemorrhagic properties. It has been used in controlling excessive bleeding from wounds since time immemorial.
- Good for diabetics: Those who suffer from diabetes are prone to frequent hunger and cravings. Being rich in fibers, this fruit can be relished by diabetics to curb the hunger levels. The fruit is also known to regulate the level of sugar in the blood.
- Helps in improving production of red blood cells: Copper, present in this fruit, helps in proper iron absorption. This in turn helps in the production of red blood cells.
- A natural relief for hiccups:The Japanese persimmon is widely used by Chinese medical practitioners in the treatment of hiccups.
- Help fight atherosclerosis: Eating one medium-sized persimmon a day is enough to help fight atherosclerosis.